Classic Palm Springs Alexander Mid-Century

1050 N Rose Avenue, Palm Springs

Listed at $498,500.00 SOLD $542,500.00

3 bedroom - 2 bathroom, 1710 square foot home sits on a 13,064 sqft lot with a large pool and mature landscape

We’ve all heard the stories of a guy traveling through the Mid-West or some remote part of the country and coming across an original ’57 Chevy or perhaps a Woody Station Wagon under an old tarp in a barn. As we progress into the 21st century, the same goes for Modern Architecture, designed and built during the early to mid twentieth century.

Palm Springs is a hot bed for these properties and has entire sub-divisions consisting mostly of historical structures originally built in the ’50s and early ‘60s. Although a lot of them have been updated or butchered, there are still a few out there that are mostly original. Even in this market, demand for these house is heavy and typically garner multiple offers.

Original brochure for Las Palmas Estates circa 1960

Palm Springs has a rich Modern Architectural history dating back to the early 1920’s and includes infamous names like R. M. Schindler, Lloyd Wright (son of Frank Lloyd Wright) and Richard Neutra. In the mid 1950’s the Alexander Company and the architectural firm of William “Bill” Krisel and Dan Saxon Palmer teamed up and began to build housing tracts that are now considered landmark (see entire Modern Architectural time line at Palm Springs Modern Committee).

In these neighborhoods (like Vista Las Palms) even a home in haggard condition and in need of a face lift will usually bring more than 10-times the number scratched on the photo above (taken from an original brochure for Las Palmas Estates circa 1960).

North Rose Avenue is at the eastern extreme of central Palm Springs and provides for spectacular desert mountain views

1050 N. Rose (pictured above), a Krisel & Palmer designed Model B-3 fixer (built by the  Alexander Company in 1960) was purchased by the seller in 1985, used infrequently as a vacation home and almost entirely original. For a modern architectural collector this property is tantamount to the Holy Grail and a fantastic opportunity.

Spacious 13,064 sqft lot with a large pool, mature landscape and spectacular views

For more information regarding this post or other real estate information contact Robert Dixon at RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty, Telephone (310) 703-1848 or email info@robertdixon.net. Content of this or any other post is presumed to be accurate but not guaranteed. DRE License #01828273

Serving the Palos Verdes Peninsula & South Bay Beach Cities, Hollywood and the Hollywood Hills, Silver Lake, Echo Park – Angelino Heights, Los Feliz, the Greater Los Angeles area and Palm Springs.

Silver Lake Home Sales, July 2010

Inventory, in general continues to climb; sales are down or flat June to July depending on the area.  Continued drops in interest rates are fueling some sales but not as much as some “experts” assume they should. The arguement: There are some fantastic buys out there right now and the historically low interest rates should out weigh the spector of  a double dip in property value as the savings (over 15 to 30 years) are significant.

Sold in Silver Lake/Echo Park 7/2010 –  22 units. Pending and Listed during the month 14/25

If you’re looking for more specific information on Silver Lake or other areas please contact me with the details. Also be sure to become a fan of Silver Lake Real Estate and Echo Park Real Estate on Facebook!

Source: MRMLS

For more information regarding this post or other real estate information contact Robert Dixon at RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty (310) 703-1848 or email info@robertdixon.net. Content of this or any other post is presumed to be accurate but not guaranteed.

Palos Verdes Landmarks: The Palos Verdes Beach & Athletic Club

The Palos Verdes Beach Club

The Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club opened in June 1930 as part of the Palos Verdes Project. Noted architect, Kirtland Cutter, designed this beautiful landmark on the beach in Malaga Cove. In 1939, the newly incorporated City of Palos Verdes Estates assumed ownership from the Palos Verdes Homes Association.

In 1946, the structure experienced a fire that destroyed the upper levels of the facility. The damage was left un-repaired and ultimately became a serious safety hazard. In 1965, the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club was re-named in memory of the City’s first mayor, H.F.B. Roessler, who at the time of his death, was serving his twenty-sixth year in office. In 1988, the City of Palos Verdes Estates was faced with a critical decision – demolition or renovation of the historic facility. Fortunately, a plan was formulated to save the facility. Under the auspices of the City, Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club Foundation, nonprofit organization, was formed. The Club was renovated and dedicated in July 1993.

Source: PalosVedres.com